Jeff Dahn provided his midseason area top-10 (they’re at the top of the 2-Minute Drill in today’s Preps Extra). We have the same top 10, in slightly different orders.
1. IOWA CITY HIGH (5-0) – An easy selection at the top, based on its 27-23 win over Cedar Rapids Washington. No matter what you think of the transfer that went down, this much is indisputable: A.J. Derby is a stud.
2. CEDAR RAPIDS WASHINGTON (4-1) – Survived the Cedar Falls/City High weekly double at the beginning of the season. Hard to imagine the Warriors finishing any worse than 8-1 now. City High rematch might be on the horizon in state quarterfinals or semifinals.
3. SOLON (5-0) – Where to put the Spartans? Could they compete in the MVC? Other than City and Washington, I think so. James Morris and Matt Morrison give the Spartans a tremendous start at the skill positions, and the young line is coming along. Winning streak is 18 games.
4. CEDAR RAPIDS XAVIER (3-2) – How did the Saints lose to Cedar Rapids Jefferson in Week 1? Whatever happened, the Saints are becoming what we expected, a very good team, as evidenced by their second-half pounding of Cedar Rapids Kennedy a couple weeks back.
5. CEDAR RAPIDS PRAIRIE (4-1) – Still a wait-and-see team. The Hawks’ schedule is about to turn difficult. We’ll wait. We’ll see.
6. CEDAR RAPIDS KENNEDY (3-2) – The Cougars were 3-0 with a soft early schedule. Now, they’re 3-2 and probably going on 3-3 with City High coming up. The last three games are pivotal.
7. DECORAH (5-0) – Saw the Vikings in their romp over West Delaware in Week 4 and came away very impressed. They don’t do anything showy, they just do the basics very well.
8. WILLIAMSBURG (5-0) – That tight win in the opener over Mid-Prairie is looking more impressive with each week. And a 9-0 regular season is looking more likely.
9. MARION (4-1) – Had to come from way back to beat Oelwein and slipped in the rain against DeWitt Central. But the Indians have been impressive since.
10. IOWA CITY REGINA (5-0) – Needed to rally to get past Wilton, winning on a last-second field goal. The big test is in Week 8, when the Regals travel to Solon.