So how would Solon compete with the big boys? Who knows for sure. I’m not saying the Spartans would dominate in the MVC. But I’m convinced they could compete. Here are your final “Super Ten” for the season:
1. SOLON (14-0) – Sixty points in the championship game? Sixty? The Spartans take a 27-game win streak into 2009, and the string could escalate to 41 by season’s end.
2. CEDAR RAPIDS WASHINGTON (11-2) – Just when the Warriors seemed to have everything going their way, they tripped on the UNI-Dome carpet in the semifinals.
3. IOWA CITY HIGH (10-1) – Great season. Awful ending. First-round playoff loss to Cedar Rapids Xavier was a head-scratcher.
4. DECORAH (13-1) – Three wins in 2007, then 13-1 and state runners-up a year later. Yeah, that’s improvement.
5. CEDAR RAPIDS XAVIER (8-4) – A nice postseason run, until the turnover avalanche left the Saints buried against Cedar Falls.
6. CEDAR RAPIDS PRAIRIE (7-4) – Craig Jelinek’s postseason drought is over. His playoff woes endure.
7. CEDAR RAPIDS KENNEDY (6-4) – Cougars were forced to swallow two extremely bitter losses to their “friends” to the west on 42nd Street.
8. WILLIAMSBURG (9-2) – Another solid season for the Raiders. Double-OT win over Grinnell got them back to the playoffs.
9. MID-PRAIRIE (10-2) – Somewhere, Tanner Miller just broke another tackle.
10. NORTH TAMA (13-1) – Swinging gate slammed Redhawks in overtime of Class A final. Maybe not the wisest play by Southern Cal, but it worked.